Friday, January 30, 2015

Book Review: Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis


The honesty and vulnerability with which Katie Davis writes her first memoir has made a significant impact on the way I view and handle life. Within the first few chapters, I was immersed in her beautiful, courageous story, and I felt myself being transformed by her example of what it looks like to truly be a follower of Christ.
At age 18, upon graduating high school, Katie decided to take a gap year and spend it teaching young children at a school in Uganda. The degree of poverty that she was suddenly surrounded with was beyond anything I had ever imagined: babies infected with HIV and AIDS, women turning to prostitution to feed their children, and starving masses of people with distended stomachs, various diseases, and no hope of life getting better.

Katie realized then that God was calling her to Uganda permanently. So she “said yes”, and by the time she was twenty-two, she was in the process of adopting thirteen orphans into her home and had founded Amazima Ministries, an organization whose goal is to feed, educate, and empower the people of Uganda. In fact, the entire premise of the book is summed up in Katie’s consistently “saying yes” to God; Davis argues that while she is just an ordinary woman, she serves an extraordinary God.

Her message is not for all so-called Christians to become exactly like her—leaving home, selling her possessions, and moving to a third-world country where she lives as a single mother to thirteen girls— but to simply say yes to whatever God is asking of them. It is a stunningly simple way of living, but it has a truer purpose than any other.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is my first book review on the blog! If you would like to see more of these, let me know in the comments. Have a great Friday!


xoxo,
Ireland


5 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I believe I will check it out. Have you ever read to kill a mockingbird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review Ireland! This book transformed the way I look at things too. So proud of you. And remember just what a " gap" year can do...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Ireland! :)
    I read the part of this book a couple of weeks ago (I had to give it back to the friend I had borrowed it from, since she was moving) and it changed me too! I'm glad that you decided to share this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of doing book reviews! Keep them coming!
    Sounds like a really great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my absolute all time favorite books!!! <3 <3 Great review:)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I love reading your comments! If you use the Anonymous setting, please leave your name or some kind of username under your post. Love you guys!